You need to know
Important change in online bankcard payments
- Collecting the card
- Bank card activation
- Contactless payment
- Card blocking
- Changing the PIN code
- Requesting a bank card
- Supplementary Card
- Apple Pay
- Credit Card / Shopping Card account statement
- Credit Card / Shopping Card debt payment
- Tips concerning the safe use of bank cards
- Tips concerning the safe use of the PIN code
- Tips concerning the safe use of ATMs
- Complaints - booked bank card transactions
- Tips concerning bank card use abroad
Collecting the card
The bank card, and in the case of newly requested cards the PIN code generated for the given card, are sent to you by post in two separate envelopes at different times to the address you have specified.
- If the given bank card is the automatic renewal of a previous card for the same card type, no new PIN code is sent; the card can be used with the same PIN code after activation.
- If the account also has a linked supplementary card, this supplementary card is sent to the same address. Following activation, please give the supplementary card to its holder.
- The card is posted first, followed by the PIN code. If you do not receive your PIN code within 14 days from the receipt of the card, please report this to the 24-hour CIB24 customer service call centre and request the replacement of the PIN code.
We also provide the opportunity – against the fee specified in the List of Conditions – for you to collect the card and the PIN code in person at one of our branches.
Bank card activation
Via CIB Internet Bank:
select the Services -> Card -> Activation menu item to enter the data of the card to be activated, then click Next and Send to Bank.
CIB Bank Online platform:
in the “My cards” menu.
For details, see the CIB Bank Online User Manual, available here.
Via the CIB Bank Mobile Application:
in the “My cards” menu.
For details, see the CIB Bank Mobile Application User Manual, available here.
Through the 24-hour CIB24 customer service call centre:
call the (+36 1) 4 242 242 telephone number, select menu item 9 “Card blocking and activation”, then menu item 2 “Card activation” and enter:
- the 16-digit number of the card to be activated,
- your telephone personal identification code,
- then press the * button.
in person at a CIB Branch.
If the given bank card is the automatic renewal of a previous card: the validity of the old bank card expires with the activation of the new card and can no longer be used to either make purchases or withdraw cash.
You can use your CIB bank card for contactless payment after activation and the first transaction approved by PIN code.
- Touch your card against the terminal with the symbol, when the purchase amount is displayed.
- If your purchase is above HUF 5,000, enter your PIN code.
- After the beep sound, the payment has been executed.
- Due to the currently effective provisions regarding PSD2 strong customer authentication, the POS terminal may ask you to enter the PIN code for transactions below HUF 5,000 as well. In the case of bank cards issued by CIB Bank, this will happen if the aggregate value of purchases made by the card holder without providing the PIN code exceeds an amount equivalent to EUR 150.
If your card is lost, stolen or you suspect abuse, immediately have it blocked via the 24-hour CIB24 customer service call centre at (+36 1) 4 242 242, by selecting menu item 9 “Card blocking and activation”, then menu item 1 “Card blocking”.
Changing the PIN code
You can change the PIN code of an activated bank card at any CIB ATM, by selecting the “Change PIN” option. When choosing a new code, avoid entering easy-to-guess codes, such as year of birth, house number, ID number, etc.
Requesting a bank card
Request a CIB bank card at any of our branches, through our CIB24 customer service call centre or via CIB Internet Bank. Customers who do not have a bank account can visit the www.cib.hu web site to automatically request bank cards linked to CIB ECO or CIB ECO Plus bank accounts, as part of the online account opening process.
You can request supplementary cards for any of your relatives, friends or acquaintances over the age of 14, concurrently with your own request or subsequently at any of our branches. When requesting a supplementary card, both the main cardholder and the supplementary cardholder must be present.
The supplementary card may be linked to the bank account of the Main Cardholder or to a separate card account.
The Main Cardholder is free to set daily cash withdrawal and purchasing limits for supplementary cardholders.
Following activation, please give the card issued in the name of the Supplementary Cardholder to its holder.
Use the Apple Pay payment method in stores or online.
For more information on the Apple Pay service, please visit the www.cib.hu/applepay webpage.
Credit Card / Shopping Card account statement
An account statement showing the movements on your credit card / shopping card will be generated on the same day of each month (monthly anniversary date). The monthly account statement shows the total amount of the credit line linked to your card, the amount of the current credit line available on the monthly anniversary date, as well as the amount used from the credit line, the minimum amount to be paid, and the deadline for payment.
The monthly closing balance, the minimum amount to be paid and the deadline for its payment can also be requested in an SMS message, if the CIB Mobile Bank Card Monitoring Service is used, or as a “Smart Notification”, in the CIB Bank Mobile Application.
Credit Card / Shopping Card debt payment
As your payments must always arrive by 18 hrs on the payment’s due date, please note the lead time required for the transfer.
You can conveniently pay the amount of your debt using the Cards / Debt repayment options in the CIB Bank Mobile Application.
Tips concerning the safe use of bank cards
Our bank makes every effort to protect the assets of our customers, but your cooperation is also required. Please read some recommendations below on how to use your bank card safely and securely.
- Never leave your card unattended or in a place well visible to others.
- You cannot lend your bank card to anyone. Do not lend your card even to your closest family members. Instead, request a supplementary card for them.
- Do not disclose your card details or any other personal data to unauthorised persons.
- Please sign your new card immediately after receiving it in the signature field on the back of the card. When making purchases, you are identified based on your PIN code or your signature, which means that failing to sign the card could make card abuse easier for thieves in the event of theft.
- To ensure safe usage, set daily purchasing and cash withdrawal limits for the bank card linked to the account. You can do this via the CIB Bank Mobile Application, CIB Internet Bank, CIB24 customer service call centre or at any CIB branch.
- Request the CIB Mobile Bank Card Monitoring Service to be provided by SMS or download the CIB Bank Mobile Application and set the Smart Notification Service function, which notifies you of any purchases or cash withdrawals made with the given bank card.
Tips concerning the safe use of the PIN code
- After memorising the number and reading the envelope containing the number, destroy the PIN code along with the PIN envelope.
- Treat the PIN code for the card confidentially and do not disclose it to anyone.
- Do not write your PIN code down. Do not have your PIN code written down in a notepad or saved to your phone (regardless of whether it is in encrypted form or not).
- ATMs request the PIN code for transactions in every single case. Never say the PIN code out loud, and always enter it by your own hand, blocking the view of the keypad with your hand.
- Please note that regardless of such rumours, if you enter your PIN code in reverse at any ATM, the machine does not alert the police and will not issue the requested amount.
- Please also note that CIB Bank employees, merchants or even the police are not entitled to ask you for your PIN code, not even for purposes of identification.
Tips concerning the safe use of ATMs
Recommended tasks prior to ATM use
- When using an outdoor ATM, please look around and if the ATM is in an isolated location or perhaps public lighting is not sufficiently bright, we recommend you choose another ATM for withdrawing cash.
- When using an indoor ATM, try to avoid having strangers in the room with you while you complete the transaction.
- Prior to the use of the ATM (cash withdrawal, deposit, PIN code modification, etc.), make sure that the ATM is operational (no error messages are displayed on the screen). Check whether you see any unusual objects that do not belong or signs of obvious damage. Scammers can block the release slot of the ATM, meaning that the cash cannot be collected and the machine is also unable to pull the banknotes back in.
Secure execution of bank card transactions
- Prior to the use of your bank card, make sure no one is standing directly behind you and check that no suspiciously behaving persons are in the vicinity of the ATM.
- When executing the transaction, stand in front of the ATM in a way that ensures that people standing behind you cannot see the code you enter or how much cash you are withdrawing. Always block the view of the keypad with your hands when entering the PIN code. Do not write down the PIN code anywhere, do not keep it on your person, especially not next to the bank card, and make sure you change it from time to time. You can change your PIN code at any CIB ATM.
- Be cautious if you observe any strangers being overly helpful while you are executing your transaction. Do not let strangers disturb or interrupt you during the execution of the transaction. Always keep your bank card with you, do not give it to anyone else and do not disclose your PIN code to anyone.
- Do not leave the receipt for the transaction behind at the ATM, always take it with you as it may contain information on your account balance. If the ATM offers you this option, choose withdrawal without receipt instead.
- ATMs vary in respect of the order in which they release the cash, the bank card and the receipt. Always take your bank card, and never leave it in the ATM.
- If your bank card is swallowed by the ATM and is not released at the end of the transaction, this may have numerous causes. It is possible that you took too long to retrieve your card after completing the transaction or the card was swallowed due to multiple incorrect PIN code entry attempts.
- By entering your credit card details, you can initiate transactions without the physical presence of the card (e.g. via telephone or internet). If you wish to execute such a transaction, please be careful, and take into consideration the following criteria before initiating a purchase:
- if you have never purchased on the given internet merchant’s platform before, you may want to look for reviews on the site to avoid using fake pages
- before finalising your purchase, check the real value of the product you want to buy, and the real content of the merchant's offer. Unrealistic offers may easily disguise phishing scams.
- before finalising your purchase, it is always worthwhile to read the Merchant's General Terms and Conditions, to make sure that the current card usage is for a single purchase only, and there is no subscription or recurring debit behind the transaction.
- be especially careful when purchasing online games on an ad-hoc basis, because if the card data is saved, transactions will be executed without any additional cardholder approval.
- Again, we would like to draw your attention to the CIB Mobile Bank Card Monitoring Service offered by our Bank, or the free-of-charge Smart Notification Service available in the CIB Bank Mobile Application to ensure that you receive notifications of all card transactions.
The 24-hour CIB24 customer service call centre to be notified in the event of problems
- In case of problem, please call the 24-hour CIB24 customer service call centre at (+36 1) 4 242-242.
- If possible, make your call from next to the ATM, do not leave the premises until you receive instructions from CIB24 operator on what to do.
- Do not let any (seemingly) kind and helpful strangers call the bank instead of you, as you cannot verify the number they actually called and who they spoke to, meaning that you may be disclosing sensitive information to unauthorised people. The CIB24 operator will never ask you for your PIN code, and should this occur, check the number you called. The telephone number for CIB24 is: (+36 1) 4 242-242.
Complaints - booked bank card transactions
There may be complaints relating to the transaction during the use of the bank card. In this case, please submit your complaint to our bank through one of the following channels, for faster administration:
- Call our CIB24 customer service call centre at (+36 1) 4 242 242, where you can make a verbal complaint. (Documents can be sent to the KARTYACB@cib.hu e-mail address, with reference to the call ID)
- Please complete the attached form accurately and as specified, then submit it at any of our branches. When submitting the printed matter, please attach all documents related to the complaint.
- Please complete the attached form accurately and as specified, and send it to us to KARTYACB@cib.hu. When submitting the printed matter, please provide us with all documents related to the complaint.
- In order for our Bank to be able to represent your interests effectively, it is essential that, during the complaint procedure, all the information and documents related to the disputed transaction be available to us at the very beginning of the investigation.
Tips concerning bank card use abroad
- Before travelling abroad, we recommend you notify the CIB24 customer service call centre of your travels (including the starting and ending date of your trip) or report it in person at any of our branches in order to ensure that the use of your bank card is not restricted for security reasons due to unusual card transactions. Should the suspicion of abuse still arise, regardless of your preliminary notice we will, of course, try to contact you using the telephone number recorded in our systems. For this reason, please make sure that we can reach you because if we are unable to contact you, we may restrict your bank card.
- If you are unable to use your bank card abroad, please call our CIB24 customer service call centre at (+36 1) 4 242 242 for assistance.
- It is important that you block your card immediately in the event of loss or theft. For this reason, we recommend that you save to your phone CIB24’s telephone number that you can call from abroad: (+36 1) 4 242 242, where you can block the card at any time.
- Before leaving the country, you should check your card's expiration date as well as the daily purchase and cash withdrawal limits set as it is possible that you will be spending more than usual during your trip. You can modify the limits at any time in the CIB Bank Mobile Application.
- You should also set the Bank Card Monitoring Service as well as the free-of-charge Smart Notices Service available in the CIB Bank Mobile Application to ensure that you receive notifications of all card transactions.
- If your signature and your PIN code is also required during card payment, always read carefully what you are signing and what you accept by providing your PIN code.
- If the given POS terminal allows for the selection of the currency of the transaction, we recommend you pay in local currency as you can typically expect the most favourable exchange rates.
- In the case of transactions in currencies other than the currency of the bank card, the foreign exchange conversion rules are contained in the List of Conditions for the given bank card. The effective Lists of Conditions are available here.
- You should, of course, also be cautious in using your PIN code abroad, make sure no one sees the numbers you enter into the ATM or the store terminal. Never write your PIN code down and never save it to your phone.